Sunday, March 5, 2023

A Love Letter to Gaia - VL Muanpuia Pachuau

 


My unbeloved Gaia,
May the stars above light up your crimson heart;
You breathe your life through me,
And hard times I may meet, yet you provide,
Despite your unrequited love for me,
You waited, and waited for the pain to subside,
Please hear me before you fade into the night.

All my life, you have given me strength,
You filled my lungs with loving fairness,
Fed me your fruits of life and health,
Grew me up into what I am;
Through all those centuries you sheltered me,
Helped me survive through the end of days and time,
Oh, how can I ever forget your everlasting benign!

Broken is your body, enduring endless agonies,
Scars and aches I had inflicted on you,
My ears set on your screeches of cacophony,
Roaring tides of your tears, your rage imbues,
Your knees, bruised, your beauty, ruined,
Stranded and abandoned with your bloodstained wings,
Death comes knocking, total darkness it brings.

I had turned your singing daisies into ashes,
Fields of green engulfed by giant fire lilies,
Lilac skies turned black as your life flashes,
Your oceans suddenly brimmed with death;
But I am our future, I am our dying hope,
A responsibility that will save us our breath,
A light that flickers in the darkest of nights.

 Alas, I have opened my stitched eyes,
I am the past, I am here, I am alive,
As old ways should be buried and gone,
Restrained and bounded by the grim hands of the past,
Your dying arms will always be my home,
I am the future, I am there, I am your half,
For our spirits are one in the same.

Beneath the gleaming blue moon,
My figure shall sit beside your gentle glow;
Caress my broken soul of all troubles,
And I shall sing you melodies near the river's flow.
Forever may your heart be true,
And forever I shall love you.


VL Muanpuia Pachuau, 4th semester, turned to Greek mythology to come up with this beautiful love song to Gaia, the Greek goddess of the earth, which won him First Prize and a cash prize of Rs. 2000/-      Congratulations, Muanpuia! 

A printout of his poem hangs proudly on a wall at college.