Thursday, February 18, 2021

Just a Woman - Saihminghlui Sailo

 

They say that night brings out the demons,
And that home is your escape.
But what happens when my work
keeps me later than I anticipate?
Am I to be fearful of what lurks ahead?
Would calling a friend work instead?
I scan my environment consistently,
As they've been kidnapping women recently.
I see them watching, oh the misogyny.
Why won't a man make safe company.
Should I defend myself using my fist?
I can't, I'm small at the wrist.
Should I run or play their game?
Doesn't matter, both results in the same.

So you tell me one gender is superior over the other?
A stereotype;  furled and unbothered like any other.
We project and advocate intersectionality,
Because gender is not always our biggest identity.
And why should we have to fight for our rightful place?
In our own turf, where we were born and raised.
Racially profiled and stigmatized,
"Just a woman" is how I'm recognized.
They tell me that I'm soft and delicate,
Made of porcelain and easy to break.
Yes I may be a woman,
But first I'm also human.

So today I raise my voice,
It is for you to make the choice.
I suspire and ache for freedom,
Do you really need him?


Saihminghlui Sailo, also our 1st sem student, won the second prize for this poem at the Gender Equality Writing competition. She took home Rs 1500/- and a certificate for these fine lines.